(CNN) — A Russian fighter jet buzzed dangerously close to a U.S. military plane in April, a U.S. official said Tuesday, describing the fly-by as “straight out of a movie.”
The Russian jet flew within 100 feet of the nose of a U.S. Air Force reconnaissance plane over the Sea of Okhotsk between Russia and Japan, a Defense Department official said.
The fly-by “put the lives of the U.S. crew in jeopardy,” the U.S. official said, calling it “one of the most dangerous close passes in decades.”
The incident occurred on April 23, the Defense Department official said, when a U.S. Air Force RC-135U aircraft flying on a routine mission over the Sea of Okhotsk was intercepted by a Russian Su-27 Flanker aircraft.
The Russian aircraft turned and “showed its belly” to the U.S. crew so they could see it was armed with missiles, a U.S. military official said Tuesday.
The United States did not originally discuss or reveal the incident publicly because it chose to deal with it privately with Russian officials, the military official said.
Earlier in April, U.S. officials said a Russian fighter jet made a dozen low-altitude passes over the USS Donald Cook in the Black Sea.
On April 28, a Russian Defense Ministry statement said Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoygu and U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel had discussed both incidents during a phone call that day.
In response, the statement said, Shoygu “offered to instruct the commanders in chief of the armed forces of both countries to discuss possible additional measures to address the interests of both countries to prevent future misperceptions of actions.”
A Defense Department readout of that call didn’t mention the fly-bys.
On Tuesday, the Defense Department official said senior leaders had communicated concerns about the incident directly to the Russian military. And the U.S. official said it hasn’t happened again since.
ABOLISH THE ACT OF 1871
- NEW STORY 4/14/2014 Animals Leaving Yellowstone? 4.7M & 4.9M (5.0M) Earthquake strikes the Western Yellowstone
- 3/30/2014 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Don’t Know?
- UPDATE 4/3/14 Yellowstone Magma Chamber Animals Leaving Yellowstone? What Do They Know We Don’t Know?
The Bundy Ranch Affair read more:
- The Bundy Ranch Affair Is the Tip of the Iceberg To What’s Coming Hell Has No Fury posted on April 14, 2014
- Update Ruby Ridge Reloade…
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bun…
- Cliven Bundy to Meet with Clark Co. Sheriff / Breaking Cliven Bundy Cows Are COMING HOME
- They are keeping everyone distracted while disaster is about to strike.. Russia just said they are at full readiness for war—Against who?
- THE NON VIOLENT REVOLUTION BEGINS JULY 5th REALLY
- The Cover Up Because Of July 26 2014? Who Am I – The July 26th 2014 Reason?
- NBC Predicts: All Americans Will Receive A Microchip Implant In 2017 Per Obamacare
- Eyewitness 3 TV News Station” in Connecticut has confirmed two passengers
- RUSSIA AND CHINA STRIKES THE FIRST BLOW TO PETRODOLLAR GOODBY TO THE US DOLLAR
- This is a must see! Ukraine. Bercut captures American agent, consultant unres posted on February 21, 2014
- FBI Opens Files Proving Adolf Hitler Went To Argentina posted on March 8, 2014
- Drone Operator Killed 1,626 People – Is Haunted & Disgusted By His ‘Sociopathic’ Actions posted on June 7, 2013
- 9/11 Smoking Gun? WOW REALLY ! ! ! posted on January 18, 2014
- Obama has officially announced plans to trash the Constitution posted on January 16, 2014
- IT IS A DAMN SHAME IT REALLY IS 143 YEARS WWIII posted on March 5, 2014
- WW3 Alert: 7 Ukraine Bases Under Siege In Crimea STOCK UP ON SUPPLIES NOW BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE! posted on March 3, 2014
- IS WW3 HERE ? WOW PEOPLE ARE YOU A WAKE NOW ? posted on March 1, 2014
- DO HIGH-VOLTAGE ELECTRIC POWER TRANSMISSION LINES CAUSE CANCER posted on June 20, 2013
- The kenyan Mall Hoax